WaterfowlChat Forum Index WaterfowlChat
Welcome

State ForumsState Forums   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Member MapMember Map   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Photo AlbumPhoto Album   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
Single Reed VS Double Reed..Which is your call?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Swamp Puppy
Pit Boss
Pit Boss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Single Reed VS Double Reed..Which is your call? Reply with quote

For along time i blew a single reed call..i had a double reed, somewhere..stuffed in the back of a drawer with some other calls i rarely used or looked at.

I blew a single because i was told that singles were better than doubles. i was told this by folks who were (and still are) far more accomplished callers that i am.

Single reeds have more range...Single Reeds have more "ducks" in them..Double reeds are for beginners...the list went on and on.

so, it was singles i bought...and singles i blew.

but i have recently, in the last 2 years or so, realized that i really like using double reed calls. doubles work really well for what i do. i don't need a call with a lot of range, i just need a call that works in the range i want it to.

IMHO..a double reed call is actually a better call in alot of hunting circumstances than a single reed. if it isn't better, it is at least as good.
Wingman
Pit Boss
Pit Boss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP-
You are right. Doubles are just as good if not better depending on who is blowing them and where you are. That is not a judgment on a persons ability or inability to call rather it comes down to how good a guys timing is, how big of a spread he is hunting over, and the location that he is hunting in. It's that simple. Why? Ducks have senses too and they use them. If things don't look OR sound right they WILL be weary and less likely to finish or even pass within gun range if something is "off". If you are hunting over 60-80 decoys the ducks in the air expect to hear more than just one or two ducks on the water. BUT if you are hunting over a smaller spread lets say 15-20 decoys it's very realistic for a duck(s) to hear one dominate hen on the water. I tell people this all the time. Listen to real ducks. It's that simple.

Ducks Don't get "call shy" as the season progresses they get "Shitty Call Shy". Real ducks call all season long they don't become any less vocal the later into the season it is. Simulate real birds both visually and with the calls and they will continue to work your spread close no matter how late in the season it might be.

For me it comes down to how many calls I want to carry. I could have 2 double reeds or one single reed. Any one that knows me knows I have two calls that I use for hunting. A Single reed timber and a whistle. Why? I try not to hunt around other people and I hunt a lot of wigeon. So those calls are the combination that I have found that works best for me. I can get 3-4 ducks out of my single reed and the whistle is still the most underrated tool in a hunters arsenal. (In the right hands a single whistle can add a dozen birds to your spread at any one time) I'm trying (Most times) to simulate a large actively feeding group of birds. Does it work every time? NO. Do I over call some birds? Absolutely! The birds I do get are they close? Most times, yes.

To each his own...... A wise man once told me to always remember that "It's not the destination but the journey."

Cheers,

Adam
jokester
Pit Boss
Pit Boss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double for me...

I think it all depends on the driver Very Happy

I blew a double reed for my first 3 years of waterfowl hunting. However, last year, I was ready to "step up" to a SR and bought an Echo Timber cocobola call. Even though the call sounded GREAT, I realized that I just can't control a single reed to save my life. I was OK on it, but I squeaked and squealed sometimes...things I don't do on a double reed.

So...after an e-mail to Echo, i've decided to have my cocobola timber call made into a double reed. LOVE the sound of the cocobola, and a double reed is easier for me to blow...WIN/WIN situation!!

Oh yeah, and while I was looking up the address on Echo's website, I think I "accidently" hit the wrong key and bought a new Meat Hanger too LOL Wink

-jokester

Last edited by jokester on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mallard stomper
Gunner
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of each on my lanyard. Use the single until the birds are just about into gun range and then switch to double to finish them off so I dont blow them out with the single
Wingman
Pit Boss
Pit Boss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mallard stomper wrote:
I have one of each on my lanyard. Use the single until the birds are just about into gun range and then switch to double to finish them off so I dont blow them out with the single

This post brings up another good point. I'm always surprised at that number of people that beleive that doubles are quieter and that single reeds are less effective at close range. IMHO this is way more of an air flow/control issue more than a double or single reed issue.

Cheers,

Adam
Bret
Gunner
Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like single reed calls, but I will admit doubles can get a lot done. For the average guy and what he does a double is just fine.
They feel like a call with training wheels to me and I hate running most of them. Especially the real ones.
I know some great callers that like to blow doubles on occasion but I don't. I own a handfull a couple that are beautiful to look at on the shelf.

Why are you trying to cause trouble with me today ED? Laughing

Bret
Swamp Puppy
Pit Boss
Pit Boss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured i could drag you into one of these threads....lol.
Choclab
Pit Boss
Pit Boss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better I get, the more I like the single. I am rocking the shit out of the Micro Hen this year.
Gooseboy
Pro-Guide
Pro-Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly it depends on the situation. For close in duckhunting i really was a believer in double reeds for the nasty squeaky sound i can get on them. Until i used the Southern Game Calls Nasty Boy. Its a single reed and one of the nastiest raspy calls i have ever blown.
quackiller
Guide
Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me its the single reed...i can still get really quiet and low with the echo timber cocobolo so there is no place for a double reed on my lanyard....that little 50 dollar call is the best investment i have made to the arsenal.... i can get teal squeaks out of it....deep raspy quacks.....finer cadences of the young hen....the old nasty nagging of an old wench hen

I love that call......the only thing it can't do is ringing hails of which i really have no use because of the geography of where i hunt
The Real SmokinDivers
Gunner
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quackiller wrote:
for me its the single reed...i can still get really quiet and low with the echo timber cocobolo so there is no place for a double reed on my lanyard....that little 50 dollar call is the best investment i have made to the arsenal.... i can get teal squeaks out of it....deep raspy quacks.....finer cadences of the young hen....the old nasty nagging of an old wench hen

I love that call......the only thing it can't do is ringing hails of which i really have no use because of the geography of where i hunt

This feller has it dialed in. I like me some Echo Timber all right.

Swamps, what the hell ya doin' with double reed calls? you just fell a notch in my book there feller. where is that burnt bo dark short barrel i set you up with awhile back? send it back to me if you are going to get all candy assed and blow on them double reed kazoos. Laughing
Swamp Puppy
Pit Boss
Pit Boss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you azz..... Humpy
PANZER
Gunner
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a call works for you than use it, just because it's said that professional callers use single reed duck calls doesn't mean it will work for you, half of the "pro callers" don't even sound that great. Think of this, a real duck calling would never place in a competition. Listen to real ducks yourself and if you can imitate them, you're set.

cheers
jjohnson_714
Marksman
Marksman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided i suck at calling ducks no matter how hard i've practiced and how many videos/cd's ive tried....

so now i stick with my goose call and whistle. there is no need for anything else
Jacob Johnson
Retriever
Retriever

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubles for hunting, singles for comp

Jacob Johnson
Fowl Fury Outdoors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaterfowlChat Forum Index -> Call Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Registration Agreement: Terms and Conditions

image linking to 100 Top Birds and Waterfowl Sites
Waterfowl  Topsites with your website ranked.